Artificial Intelligence has always been a term that intrigues people all over the world. Artificial Intelligence (AI) refers to the ability of machines to perform cognitive tasks like thinking, perceiving, learning, problem-solving and decision making; it is inspired by the ways people use their brains to perceive, learn, reason out and decide the action.
AI is a form of intelligence; a type of technology and a field of study. AI theory and the development of computer systems (both machines and software) are able to perform tasks that normally require human intelligence. Artificial Intelligence covers a broad range of domains and applications and is expected to impact every field in the future. Overall, its core idea is building machines and algorithms which are capable of performing computational tasks that would otherwise require human-like brain functions.
THEME 1: GENERAL/ MISCELLANEOUS
1. What is Artificial Intelligence?
Artificial Intelligence (AI) is an overarching discipline that covers a broad range of domains and applications and is expected to impact every field in the coming future. This curriculum focuses on building AI readiness in young minds.
2. At which level would AI be introduced in schools?
Class VIII is being considered as the ideal level to introduce school students to AI as children are very inquisitive at this age. In class VIII this will be treated as a certification course while from class IX onwards it will be a regular subject.
3. Why should a school opt for this curriculum?
Artificial Intelligence (AI) is an overarching discipline that covers a broad range of domains and applications, and is expected to impact every field of life in the coming times. Hence, schools should opt for it to make the students AI ready.
4. Which schools can opt for the AI curriculum?
All CBSE schools are eligible to opt for the AI curriculum.
5. How will schools apply to opt for this curriculum?
Please refer to CBSE Circular No. 14/2019 dated 09.03.2019 which can be accessed using the below-mentioned link: http://cbseacademic.nic.in/web_material/Circulars2019/14_Circular_2019.pdf
6. Why should a student opt for this curriculum?
Students should opt for this curriculum to become future ready and become at par with their counterparts at a global level. AI is a continually advancing and expanding field and AI readiness will lead to better opportunities, increased levels of understanding and being future ready. It will help them visualise jobs of the future and prepare for them.
7. What are the prerequisite qualifications for students to opt for this subject?
There are no prerequisite qualifications to opt for AI as a subject. Anyone who is inquisitive and eager to learn about AI may opt for this subject and get acquainted with new AI concepts prevalent in the current times.
8. Will AI be introduced as a part of Academic subjects or Skill subjects?
It is proposed that AI be introduced as part of the Skill Subjects.
9. Is the course friendly for differently-abled students?
Yes. It involves a number of user-friendly activities which can be adapted to the needs of differently-abled students.
10. How will the AI curriculum prove beneficial for teachers?
It will prove beneficial for the teachers by giving them an opportunity to advance their professional development with future technologies and help them better prepare their students for jobs of the future.
11. Who is eligible to opt for this curriculum?
The curriculum will be available for all students of Class VIII and Class IX for the schools who opt for it.
THEME 2: INFRASTRUCTURE
12. What is the infrastructure required to implement the AI curriculum in school?
The following infrastructure is required to implement AI curriculum in schools
➡Minimum 20 computers
➡Minimum internet bandwidth of 50 Mbps for these 20 computers
➡Basic stationery which may include sticky notes, paper marker, glue, chart papers, sketch pens, rulers, A4 size papers etc. (More details will be shared during the Training programme for the schools)
14. Do schools require a designated space for implementing the AI curriculum?
No. Any space with recommended infrastructure may be used for this curriculum. (Please refer to question 1 in this section)
15. Can Atal Tinkering Labs (ATLs) be used for implementing the AI curriculum?
Any space with recommended infrastructure may be used for this curriculum. (Please refer to question 1 in this section)
16. How many periods should be allocated for this curriculum in class VIII and IX?
For class VIII, 18 – 20 periods (12 hours) are recommended. For class IX, 168 periods (112 hours) are recommended. The calculation is as per CBSE guidelines where 1 period is of 40 minutes duration.
17. Will schools need to hire a specialist facilitator for implementing the AI curriculum?
No, schools will not need to hire a specialist facilitator for implementing the AI curriculum. They will need to train their existing teacher (s) for facilitating this curriculum.
THEME 3: CURRICULUM
18. What is the objective of introducing this curriculum?
The objective of introducing this curriculum is to equip our youth with skills required for the jobs of the future, create social impact solutions and become AI ready.
19. What is the objective of this curriculum?
The core objective of this curriculum is to demystify Artificial Intelligence for youth and equip them with relevant skill-set, mind-set and tool-set to become AI ready.
20. How will AI as a subject add value to the existing curriculum?
Artificial Intelligence (AI) is an overarching discipline that covers a broad range of domains and applications. Its multi-disciplinary nature will help to make connections between all other subjects thereby adding value and giving a different perspective for all.
21. Will AI curriculum have a practical component?
What will be the breakup of marks with regard to theory and practical assessment? Yes, this curriculum will contain both theory and practical components in equal proportion. More details may be shared at a later stage.
22. Will this new curriculum be added as subject enrichment for an already existing CBSE subject?
No, this curriculum will be introduced as a separate optional subject.
23. How will this curriculum help in developing core skills in a learner?
The curriculum has a series of interactive activities designed to develop core skills like creative and critical thinking, effective communication, decision making, self-awareness, empathy, teamwork etc. along with conceptual and technical skills among the students.
24. Will this new subject/curriculum replace existing FIT and IT subjects in class IX?
No. The new subject will be treated as a separate Skill subject in class IX.
25. How will this new subject be integrated in the present school time-table?
AI as a new subject will be accommodated as per the CBSE guidelines for Skill subjects.
26. Will learners have an option to take this curriculum in class XI and XII?
As of now the curriculum is being introduced in class VIII and class IX. CBSE will announce guidelines for other classes at a later stage.
THEME 4: CURRICULUM ASSESSMENT
27. Will learners be assessed for this curriculum?
As of now the curriculum is being introduced in class VIII and class IX. For class VIII learners, there will be no assessments. For class IX learners, the assessments will be same as for other Skill subjects.
28. Will this curriculum’s marks be included for class X project?
As of now the curriculum is being introduced in class VIII and class IX. Information regarding other classes will be shared by CBSE later.
THEME 5: TEACHER TRAINING
29. Who will be teaching this curriculum – computer teacher/ subject teacher/ external resource person?
This course can be taught by any teacher who has been trained and/ or has an experience and / or has a zeal and interest.
30. Is there any prerequisite for teaching this subject?
Any teacher who has been trained and/ or has an experience and/ or has a zeal and interest may teach this subject.
31. Will training be provided to teachers for this curriculum?
Yes, CBSE will be providing training to teachers of the schools.
32. Will a training/facilitator manual be provided for this curriculum?
Yes, training and facilitator manual will be provided to schools option for this curriculum.
33. Will schools need to organize orientation sessions for students and parents for this course?
Yes, it is advised that Schools shall organise orientation sessions to emphasise and clarify the need and importance of introducing this course.
34. Will study material/lab manual etc. be provided for learners?
CBSE will be sharing more details with the schools that will opt for this curriculum.
35. Where can we find reference material for this curriculum?
Reference material will be provided by CBSE in the training and facilitator manual.
Qualifications & Other Details for Appointment of Teachers
Curriculum for AI
Class VIII | Class IX
Download Artificial Intelligence.pdf
AI Curriculum Handbook
AI Integration Manual
AI Project Showcase
frequently asked questions,frequently asked questions on lifelines of national economy,frequently asked questions faqs),resource and development frequently asked questions,frequently asked questions in resource and development,frequently asked questions about resource and development,resource and development frequently asked questions in hindi,most asked interview questions,frequently asked questions in resource and development in hindi,physics important questions